Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Connections

I had MOPS this morning and came home very grateful for the opportunity to connect with other moms. I happen to have possibly the best MOPS discussion group (just my humble opinion), and we have some great conversations. It is so nice to know that other moms are experiencing some of the same joys and frustrations as I am. And it is good to be able to rejoice with other moms in things that happen in their lives and pray for them as they go through difficulties.

It reminded me of how important it is to build relationships. There are negative consequences when we isolate ourselves. I tend to become inward focused, thinking that I am the only one who has problems - that everyone else has it all together. I start having big pity parties where I am the only one invited. Is anyone with me on this? As Christians, we are called to have community and be connected.

Hebrews 10:23-25 says,
"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another..."

This may seem a little off the topic, but bare with me here. Mike and I have recently watched a lot of documentaries about the Amish. Secretly I've always wanted to be Amish, but I'm pretty sure I'd only last a day or two. While I disagree with a lot of the Amish beliefs, there are some things that I think we can learn from them. Much of their motivation for living simple lives is to preserve relationship. They don't have cars because a car would take them away from their community. They don't have phones because why visit when you can just call? Let me take it a little further. If I have a phone, I'll call instead of visit. If I have e-mail, I'll e-mail instead of call and if I have Facebook, I don't need to e-mail because all I need to do is take a look at my friends' statuses to find out what's going on in their lives.

Am I going to sell my car, cancel my Facebook account, get rid of my e-mail and throw away my phone? Probably not, but it does spur me on to be more intentional about relationships that are encouraging and that stir me up to love and good works.

2 comments:

  1. love your post! God gave 3 adorable children a humble and godly mother! So thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such insight! Makes me think twice about doing the "easy" thing (email/facebook). Thank you for sharing your heart :)

    ReplyDelete