Saturday, April 21, 2012

What do you do with minus two?

Mike and I were planning on going to a marriage enrichment seminar at church last night and didn't have a babysitter, so I called and begged asked my parents to take our two older kids for the weekend. Actually, it went something like, "Hey, mom you wouldn't want to come and pick up Tate and Norah for the weekend would you?" "I totally would if I didn't have to work, sorry." So, I call my dad. "Dad, you wanna hang out with your grandkids for the weekend?" "Well, I'd love that Melissa. Let me call your mom." Yep, I'm 31 years old and I employed the thing we tell Tate NOT to do: I asked dad when mom said no. Some things never change.

Since our early riser was away (who apparently was so excited to be at G & G's house, he was awake by 6:00 this morning), Mike and I thought we might just get to sleep in. Nope. Tate must have talked to Anja before he left and told her, "Whatever you do, do not let mom and dad sleep past 7:00." Oh well. Sleep is over-rated, right?

I was so excited to get a lot accomplished today while I didn't have kids here to make messes as I cleaned. I cleaned the kitchen, washed the floor, cleaned the bathroom, did some laundry, went shopping, ate chinese with my love and baked banana bread (which is in the oven right now). I feel like there are still enough things to fill another day, but I am SO thankful for the time I had to get done what I did.

We also had lots of opportunities to have some great talks with Anja today. And boy was she talkative! It was so fun to hear her babble and smile every time we looked at her throughout the day. I love seeing each of our kids' personalities come alive and getting to know who God made them to be. God makes no two kids alike, so we get the chance to get to know them as individuals. I am in awe of God for His creativity when I look at people. If it were up to me (and thank goodness it's not), we'd all be exactly the same.

I have thoroughly enjoyed some relaxed time with Mike and getting some things done around the house, but it will be great to kiss those two adorable faces tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment